Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG) is a devastating and potentially life-threatening condition. Whilst “morning sickness” is fairly common, this most severe form of pregnancy vomiting is generally not well understood according to women who have suffered through it.
Imagine how the simplest smells or even slight movement can trigger non-stop episodes of vomiting. Imagine feeling thirsty beyond belief, yet unable to keep down even small sips of water. Even after hospitalization and treatment, some women just cannot go on and resort to termination of a much-wanted baby. It doesn’t get much worse than that!
This talk will discuss the diagnosis, aetiology and treatment of HG from a Western perspective. SAFETY issues around recognition and timely intervention will be covered.
There is some evidence that Acupuncture can make a significant difference to women with HG, and we will look at the existing research and explore an integrated approach to this dreadful condition.
Participants can expect
- A deeper understanding of the background, diagnosis and treatment of HG from a Western perspective.
- How to recognize safety issues around HG, a “red flag” for Acupuncture practitioners.
- An insight into the ‘battle’ women face with this condition.
- Stories to illustrate the plight of HG sufferers.
- A brief overview of the research published on Acupuncture and HG.
- An exploration of an integrated approach.
Sources for talk:
- Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (RCOG) UK.
- Midwifery Journals.
- Research papers.
- Text books on HG.
- Speaker’s own experience and student MSc findings.
- HelpHer. Hyperemesis education and research. Charity and Forum.
- Pregnancy Sickness Support. Charity and Forum. www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk